St Mary the Virgin is the Parish Church of the village of Eccleston, which is situated just outside the city of Chester. The village is part of the Duke of Westminster’s Eaton Estate, and the Duke is the Patron of the Living.
St Mary’s Church was built by the 1st Duke, being consecrated in 1900. The architect was the famous church architect, G F Bodley.
A ruined wall of the former church stands in the old churchyard, to the east of the present building. The churchyard contains the memorials to many members of the Grosvenor family.